I’m sure there are quite a few old sayings about “hindsight always being useful to learn from – but foresight being better to not have to“. Sage.
I was reminded of the value of foresight in a recent conversation on LinkedIn. Reflecting on the essence of the conversation – supporting good decisions with foresight – I noted several key principles – a list I share below as “Five for Foresight”.
- Be clear about your objectives
- Fully appreciate your context
- Be specific about your assumptions (and uncertainties)
- Be rigorous about your decision criteria (and their weightings)
- Plan to include the active monitoring of variations